In the context of UN’s support to the Government of Uzbekistan’s on efforts to tackle the negative consequences of the Aral Sea crisis, with the financial support of the Government of Japan, UNDP and UNFPA Joint Programme “Building the Resilience of Local Communities Against Health, Environmental and Economic Insecurities in the Aral Sea region” is launched, which is being implemented in Karakalpakstan throughout 2020-2021. The Joint Programme aims to address the most urgent and immediate health and economic insecurities in the most vulnerable areas of the Aral Sea region through brining innovative solutions to healthcare and poverty reduction initiatives.
The Joint Programme has two major objectives as follows:
- Improving the quality of healthcare services, particularly in remote rural areas through strengthening the technical and institutional capacity of local healthcare system for maternal, child and reproductive health service provision with the focus on prevention of ill health (breast and cervical cancer, sexually transmitted infections, malnutrition, etc.) and promotion of healthy lifestyle and positive health seeking behavior involving also the Community Health Volunteers.
- Enhancing income generation opportunities of the affected population through inclusive business initiatives, promotion of investment for job creation, as well as through improving access to basic services. The programme will select most vulnerable rural communities and help them with participatory decentralized planning and rehabilitation of essential public services such as water supply. It will support the start-up of agricultural cooperatives and small businesses through trainings, funding innovative schemes, establishing pilot “farm field schools”. These will help people, especially women led households to use available resources, mainly land and water in the most efficient way and generate incomes toe sustain their livelihoods.
The UNDP, UNFPA and FAO Joint Programme “Unleashing young people’s and vulnerable citizens’ creativity and innovation by strengthening their adaptive capacity to address the economic and food insecurities in the exposed communities of the Aral Sea region” financed by the Multi-Partner Human Security Trust Fund for Aral Sea region (MPHSTF). The Programme will contribute to addressing multiple human insecurities of people, living in the most vulnerable districts of Karakalpakstan, which are fully aligned with the policies and strategies of the Government of Uzbekistan on addressing the Aral Sea crises.
The Joint Programme has three major objectives as follows:
- Reduce the vulnerabilities of unemployed, unskilled youth and women and returning migrants through the empowerment and promotion of essential entrepreneurial skills, and youth-led innovations in the region;
- Create an enabling environment for income generation for rural communities (with focus to youth and women) through promoting innovative agriculture practices and piloting new agriculture initiatives;
- Enable the development of smart communities through digitalization, better access to social infrastructure and community engagement with focus on youth.
Specialist on Women and Youth Empowerment will be contributing to address the human security needs of the population affected by the Aral Sea disaster in the region with the focus to promote women and youth empowerment in implementing income generation projects focused on livelihoods. S/he will be in charge of developing and deploying an innovative tool to ensure gender mainstreaming in the project activities (specifically in the income generation projects) and disseminate best-practices among the project partners for replication and scale up.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Joint Programme Manager and in close collaboration with Team Leader on Income Generation, relevant project staff and partners, Specialist on Women and Youth Empowerment provides the following services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work:
Duties and responsibilities:
- Design and formulate local innovative entrepreneurship and income generation initiatives by engaging marginalized and vulnerable groups of women and actively promote their development.
- Identify capacity development needs of rural women/girls/youth and lead the coordination of technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives; nurture leadership skills, seek feedback from the beneficiaries and adjust technical support to their needs as necessary.
- Analyze and monitor trends, opportunities and challenges related to Women and Youth Empowerment, e.g. household dynamics, food and economic security and access to knowledge and new technology, etc. in different contexts;
- Explore strategic gaps in the region for women and youth empowerment that can maximize synergies between gender equality, inclusive economic growth in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Build and manage relationships with national partners (Ministry of Mahalla and Family affairs, Youth Affairs Agency, Women’s Business Association and other relevant partners) of to support implementation and expansion of the women’s economic empowerment portfolio of the Joint Programme; respond to any potential challenges and effectively address any problems in close collaboration and consultations with relevant teams/ stakeholders.
- Ensure that all procurement activities within component, and tendering processes are organized and implemented in the most transparent way and line with corporate and national regulations.
- Manage the day-to-day implementation of programme activities relevant to Women and Youth Empowerment to ensure timely execution and delivery of expected results.
- Facilitate in planning and development of analytical reports, information brochures, specific thematic leaflets, infographics and flyers with basic fact sheets and other deliverables aimed at enhancing public awareness of the programme activities and results.
- Contribute to the programmes’ advocacy campaigns and facilitate the process of increasing visibility of the programmes activities and results.
- Contribute to the promotion of gender approach in the programme activities (gender mainstreaming) and disseminate Gender Equality Issues, focusing of women’s economic empowerment.
- Plan and implement the work plan using both human and financial resources available in the most effective and efficient way.
- Organize proper filing of the documents and maintain document control within income generation component.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the team through leadership and personal example
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets
- Solid project and personnel management skills, and a consistent record of managing complex and challenging partnerships with governments and bilateral donors
- Practical knowledge and skills for resource mobilization focusing on multilateral and bilateral donors
- Familiarity with UNDP project management
Leadership and Self-Management
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
- University (bachelor’s) degree in social sciences, economics, socio-economic development, English/Russian philology and Business administration.
- Proven track of at least 2 years of work experience in the area of women and youth empowerment, innovative project development and private sector.
- Experience in International as well as foreign organizations is an advantage.
- Experience in programmes related to Aral Sea region development is an asset.
- Knowledge of environmental situation/problems in Aral Sea region is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Russian, good knowledge of Uzbek/Karakalpak.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, ability to work in a team.
- Knowledge and experience with development situation in Karakalpakstan.
- Initiative, analytical skills, good ability in partnering and networking.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Ability to use information technologies as a tool and resource.
- Commitment to UN values.
- Excellent writing skills in English and Russian