Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Supports strategic direction of UNDP programme as a member of the CO Management team
- Acts as integrator for the cross-cutting initiatives, portfolio-based approach, linking the work of the Accelerator Lab and Programme Team.
- Leads the Strategic Planning and Integration Unit ensuring enhanced quality of programming and oversight
- Support COs efforts in enhancing strategic partnerships and resource mobilization
- Facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing on RBM and M&E
1. As a member of the CO management team ensures the strategic direction of UNDP programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of strategic programme areas of cooperation.
- Operationalization of UNSDCF/ CPD in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies. Identification of possibilities for joint programming.
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO.
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and collaborative preparation/revision of, CPD, AWP and other documents.
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the country programme environment, timely readjustment of programme. Ensuring that results and lessons learned feed into the analytical and project work (i.e. results used to make decisions).
2. Ensures effective integration of the cross-cutting initiatives, using a portfolio-based approach, linking the work of the Accelerator Lab and Programme Team focusing on achieving the following results:
- Design and formulation of programme interventions, translating UNDP priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies.
- Support the programme team in the operationalization of the new Country Programme Document, including promoting thematic and sectoral synergies and coordination of programme activities and execution; identify innovative approaches and modalities to achieve development targets.
- Bring and market innovation ideas, supporting programming for a portfolio-based approach, but aslo enhanced integration and consolidation of UNDP work in Uzbekistan, jointly with the Accelerator Lab and Programme team.
3. Provides guidance on Programme Assurance and Oversight for the Programme team, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Strategic oversight of Country Office compliance of corporate programming and reporting requirements, including clearance of project Quality Assessments
- Effective application of RBM tools in the country programme, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results, guidance to Programme Clusters in their oversight functions. Advises on POPP compliance.
- Setting a system for monitoring regular collection of progress data on UNDP-led indicators in the UNSDCF M&E framework, and serving as a resource person to develop new indicators when needed. Monitors programme and project risk logs
- Supporting the development of project proposals – particularly performance monitoring plans and M&E sections. Coordinates preparation and reviews annual project output verification reports
- Supporting timely and qualitative preparation of progress reports and submission to the Government and other development partners.
- Coordination of the CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Results Management.
- Application of programme management and monitoring modules of ATLAS.
- Follow up on audit recommendations related to the programme. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Organizational set-up and fully functional project management systems to create best possible enabling environment for high level performance of Project Teams.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations. Organizing bi-annual work planning and progress reviews.
- Proper management of programme finance and advice on strategies and plans affecting programme finance managements. Advice to CO Senior Management on the programme implementation in relation with delivery status. Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation for development projects.
4. Establishes and maintains strategic partnerships and supports the resource mobilization in cooperation with the CO Management, Programme, and Operations Teams focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes.
- Creation and coordination of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Determination of programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
- Review and clearance of partnership agreements, liasing with Legal Support Office as needed
- Ensuring tracking of CO portfolio of projects and pipelines
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of RBM and M&E, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Compiling and disseminating of information extracted from all available information management systems to Senior Management and other stakeholders as needed;
- Leading the process of capturing knowledge by networking and dissemination of know-how. Particular emphasis to be given to knowledge dissemination on RBM, ATLAS, corporate strategic results, M&E policy and applications.
- Easy access to necessary programming and project assurance tools by the Programme Clusters.
- Identification and formulation of lessons learned from evaluations and studies to be integrated into broader knowledge management;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Coordination of learning opportunities to country office and project staff and national partners to build capacity on RBM and M&E
- Any other responsibilities as requested by the Management.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall success of the country programme and reaching UNSDCF/ CPD goals. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 2: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 2: Identifying and building partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 2: Developing new approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor
Level 2: Implementing resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 2: Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 2: In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignment.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 2: Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level
Level 2: Contributing to positive outcomes for the client
- Anticipates client needs
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.