- The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist (M&E Specialist) to be hired under this Terms of Reference will be responsible for monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the Project activities.
The M&E Specialist to be hired according to this Terms of Reference should carry out the following activities:
- Become fully familiar with (i) all regulations governing preschool education in Uzbekistan, (ii) the Project Appraisal Document, (iii) Legal Agreements and Disbursement & Financial Information Letter for the Project, (iv) POM and (v) SIBOM;
- Assist the PIU in the monitoring and evaluation of the Project;
- Monitor the implementation of the Project in accordance with the provisions of the POM and SIBOM. He/she should ensure that all project indicators that are defined in the Project Results Framework are measured at least quarterly (some indicators may require shorter periods).
- Liaison with the:
- SISQE on the monitoring of project activities supported through component 4. He/she shall be responsible for the monitoring of this component’s activities as well.
- MPSE’s units/departments involved in the implementation of the Project.
- Head of MPSE’s IT Department to collect data from the Education Management Information System and other sources of data for the measurement of project indicators.
- Independent Evaluator and Lead Contractor to be selected for the implementation of the Social Impact Bond under component 3. He/she shall assist the Project Coordinator with the monitoring of the metrics/indicators of the Social Impact Bond, which will be under responsibility of the Independ Evaluator.
- Ensure that the World Bank is timely and precisely informed about the progress with the measurement of all project indicators on a regular basis, but at least every quarter. He/she shall prepare a quarterly report on the measurement of these indicators.
- The MPSE will prepare and send to the World Bank a regular Project Implementation Report in English and in a format acceptable to the World Bank. The report will reflect, among other aspects, the progress with the implementation of the Project in relation to the set objectives, the problems faced during the reporting period, and steps taken and proposed to address these issues, ensuring compliance with the Legal Agreements, and the activities envisaged for the next reporting period;
- Provide inputs for the Project Completion Report within six months of the completion of the Project;
- Collaborate and dialogue with consultants involved in project monitoring and evaluation activities. He/she shall assist the Project Coordinator with the supervision of all contracts related to monitoring and evaluation studies, including impact evaluations, to be financed by the Project.
- Ensure execution of the relevant instructions of the MPSE and the World Bank;
- Preparing project monitoring reports in accordance with World Bank’s requirements;
- Assistance to the Project Coordinator in the planning of the Project activities;
- Provide inputs for the revision of the POM and SIBOM, including its Project Implementation Plan;
- Work closely with MPSE’s staff, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Investments and Foreign Trade, and other state agencies and local authorities involved in the Project implementation, as well as with the World Bank on all the issues of Project financial management in agreement with MPSE.
- Higher education degree in social science, political science, management, public administration, business administration, economics or related area.
- Advanced higher education degree would be an advantage.
- At least 3 years of experience at a similar position in a public or private organization.
- Prior work experience at organizations implementing investment projects financed by International Development Organizations will be an advantage.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation of projects, ideally including the design or implementation of impact evaluations.
- Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative data for measuring indicators.
- Knowledge of classic education indicators would be an advantage.
- Uzbek and\or Russian. Working knowledge of English language is required.
- Good analytical skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Strong reporting skills.
- Ability to work in teams and deliver quality results within tight deadlines.
- Focus on results.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist should prepare:
- Monthly reports of activities performed;
- Quarterly report on the measurement of all project indicators.
- Inputs to the revision of the POM and SIBOM.
- Project Report not later than one month after the end of each calendar semester;
- All reporting required by the Government and the World Bank for the purposes of the Project.
Duration of the assignment. The proposed assignment is for one year, renewable based on a satisfactory performance of the selected professional. The probation period is 6 months. The contract termination date shall not be after the Project Closing Date, which is defined in the Project Financing Agreement".
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to be hired under this Terms of Reference should note that he/she will work under the supervision of the Project Coordinator. He/she would work under guidance of the Project Director and Head of the Department for International Collaboration and Investments of the MPSE.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist shall in his/her activities be guided by or pay special attention to the provisions of:
· Terms and conditions of the Legal Agreements;
· The POM and SIBOM;
· The Project Implementation Plan and Project Procurement Plan approved by the World Bank.
· Legislative and regulatory acts of the Republic of Uzbekistan as well as the regulations concerning the implementation of MPSE regulating the Project;
· The legislation of Republic of Uzbekistan and the internal regulations and procedures of the MPSE as well as this Terms of Reference.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist should:
· Ensure due follow up and adherence with the local legislation, responsibilities and tasks stated in this Terms of Reference, as well as a timely delivery of reports and other tasks (regular and annual reports);
· Be responsible for failure or improper performance of his / her official duties under this Terms of Reference;
· Note the offences committed in the course of activities carried out within the limits defined by current administrative, criminal and civil legislation of the Republic of Uzbekistan;