Main Tasks & Responsibilities
The Operations Manager ensures a fully accountable, well-managed and results-oriented Country Office (CO). You will contribute your operational expertise to facilitate effective delivery of UNFPA country programme and cross-border operations, which aims to realize 2030 Development Agenda in order to make a positive difference in lives of millions of people. Participating in inter-agency coordination, you will foster a collaborative, client-oriented approach towards the UNFPA CO team, UNFPA Implementing Partners and UN community, supporting effective communication and cooperation with Regional Office (RO) and Headquarters (HQ).
You would be responsible for:
As part of the senior management team, champion programme and operations integration, contributing to effective planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting on country programme and projects results and achievements.
Contributing to strategic and efficient management and oversight of financial resources ensuring a risk-based approach and compliance with UNFPA financial regulations, rules, policies and procedures, well-functioning performance tracking, reporting and internal control structures and mechanisms, timely implementation of audit recommendations.
Managing day-to-day office operations and effectively leading the operations team, to ensure a smooth running of the office and provision of high quality and timely service delivery, promoting innovation and high client satisfaction, as well as maximizing efficiency and effectiveness of office operations to ensure operational excellence of the CO.
Addressing operational bottlenecks in a proactive manner, advising when deviations from regulations may be required, and proposing alternative solutions to meet outcomes.
Monitoring and facilitating execution of financial, administrative, HR, ICT, logistics and travel services, and overseeing procurement and vendor management, asset and inventory management, premises and common services; maximizing efficiency and effectiveness, streamlining and simplifying internal processes.
Assessing operational and staffing requirements for implementation of the country programme (for all country offices) and cross-border operations (for Turkey), supporting optimal staffing of the office and projects through executing timely recruitments, induction and training of personnel.
Supporting effective national execution of UNFPA activities, monitoring and building capacity of UNFPA Implementing Partners, conducting assurance activities in line with HACT framework.
Overseeing procurement, assets, inventory and vendor management processes in line with corporate procedures, ensuring timely provision of goods and services for the CO; securing required clearances and undertaking negotiations and effectively performing contract management processes.
Supervising operations team, including out-sourced operations personnel, at the Country office.
Participating in inter-agency meetings and/or leading OMTs or inter-agency mechanisms, to contribute to operational and management aspects of the UN reform (Business Operations Strategy, Common Back Office, Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfers) as well as ensure UNFPA interests are reflected in activities related to e.g. host country agreement, common services and premises, financial arrangements, security, administration, procurement, etc.
Supporting a continuous flow of up-to-date information between the CO and the Regional Office and HQ
Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in business administration, public administration, finance, accounting, social science or a related discipline.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant experience managing office operations, administration, finance, procurement, human resources is required.
- Progressively responsible experience leading operations with UN or International NGO is desirable.
- Ability to supervise and lead a team is required.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment, strong inter-personal, coordination and communications skills.
- Ability to build effective relationships is required.
- High integrity standards, strong capacity for sound judgement and capability to work with limited supervision.
- Proficiency in current office software applications, ERP and corporate ICT systems is desirable.
Languages: Fluency in English is required.In Uzbekistan, fluency in Russian and Uzbek is also required.
- Exemplifying integrity.
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system.
- Embracing diversity in all its forms.
- Embracing change.
- Achieving Results.
- Being Accountable.
- Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen.
- Thinking analytically and Strategically.
- Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships.
- Communicating for Impact.
- Managing the organization’s financial resources.
- Managing recruitment processes.
- Developing ICT standards and applications.
- Providing procurement services.
- Ensuring facilities and assets management.
- Providing strategic focus,Engaging in internal/external partners and stakeholders,Leading, developing and empowering people, creating a culture of performance.
- Making decisions and exercising judgment.
- These openings are only open to nationals of Uzbekistan.
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life.
We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
Compensation and Benefits
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
Under the guidance of the Representative for Uzbekistan, the Operations Manager (OM) supports planning for UNFPA Country Office (CO) operations, upkeeping management targets and outsourced services, ensuring timely implementation, monitoring and reporting, addressing risks, promoting efficiency and effectiveness for the accomplishment of desired results.
The Operations Manager leads the operations team in supporting a smooth functioning of financial and budget management, procurement and vendor management, security, administration and asset management, ICT, travel and logistics management, and human resources and premises management.
You will report to the Representative Uzbekistan, and be part of the Senior Management Team of the Country Office.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.